Pages

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Words of wisdom, Steve style

While we were working on a response from the first termite email, Steve sent out this gem.


Robert and Dana,

        I inspected the termite damage.  Thank you for letting me know about it, and for the photos, which enabled me to find the spot.
        I thought, at first glance at the photos, that the termites were attacking the Redwood Deck.  I see now that they are eating the back fence.  I have no intention of calling a fumigator.  I will keep an eye on the fence, and I'm sure you will too.  If the fence becomes damaged enough to be in danger of falling over, I will have it repaired.
        When I thought the termites were eating the Redwood Deck, I thought, of course, of the woven reed carpet you have placed on the Deck.  This would make a perfect nest for a termite colony.  The spaces in the fabric would provide shelter for them.  The carpet would protect the rain water from evaporating, so that the redwood, being perpetually wet, would eventually rot.  Redwood is more resistant to rotting than other wood, but it is not immune from it.  Putting a carpet on a Redwood Deck is a really bad idea.  I noticed that you have removed the Duct Tape with which you had secured it to the Deck.  So perhaps you are aware of the problem.  But just removing the Duct Tape isn't good enough.  I'm going to have to ask you to remove the carpet from the Deck.  The best thing would be to throw it away, since it is a breeding place for small vermin such as fleas.
        I'm painfully aware that you think you can ignore any guidance from me, on maintenance of the property, which I find rude and offensive.
        But whenever you break something, which is a frequent occurrence, you come running to me to fix it.
        Keith K stopped by the other day, and I told him about the problem with the water level in the Hot Tub.    Besides being a General Contractor, he is also a property manager.  His advice was, if you refuse to maintain an adequate water level in the Hot Tub, to evict you.  He's pretty much of a hard nose.  But if it does come to that, please don't pretend to be surprised.
        You have acquired a large quantity of household goods.  For instance, I noticed you now have two Barbeque Stoves.  When you move back into an apartment, you will not have room for all that stuff, and will have to get rid of much of it, either by selling it, giving it away, or putting it into storage.  And storage space is expensive.  Since you can't afford to buy enough water to keep the Hot Tub full, I would think that the idea of spending money to store household goods that you would not be able to use, would be painful to you.  I know it would be for me.

Steve 


2 comments:

  1. I hope you don't get evicted. I want more emails!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow this guy is intense! This has just become my favorite new blog :)

    ReplyDelete